Monday, July 22, 2013

Today's Adventure: Getting Lost(:

  Today, I found myself lost(: Today is Tuesday, but I didn't go to school because the final day of school before summer vacation was last Friday ((it was an incredible sad but meaningful last day at my school--with of course many tears-- Post about that day coming later~))
    So, don't worry, I was not really lost... I have become very comfortable with the area in my town, so it would be very hard for me to actually get lost here... But today, I went to the book store with my friend Josh. I have been wanting to go to that book store for a while. There were so many books I wanted to look for and I found everything I was looking for and more! So, walking into the bookstore finally getting to circumscribe its books, I became lost. haha(:
   First things first, what I was really looking for some reliable Kanji study books. Japanese Has three alphabets: Hiragana (ひらがな), Katakana (カタカナ which reads foreign words), and Kanji (漢字 Chinese characters that each have different meanings). Hiragana and Katakana have only 46 characters each, so these are the alphabets we learned to write first in Japanese class. As we moved up in Japanese levels, my class and I learned more and more Kanji, which we have been able to learn and sporadically use kanji in our writing. Because there are thousands of Kanji, not even educated Japanese people can read or write all of them. Being a level 4 Japanese student at school and living in Japan, the reality has hit me that my kanji ability is not where I would like it to be, so I am really glad I was able to buy these kanji books!
   After I found my Kanji books, Josh and I went into the kids section of the store just to see what books we would know~ We found The Giving Tree in Japanese ((its name in Japanese translates to "The Big Tree" lol)) and we found....we found that book about the Caterpillar that eats things. Haha, sorry, my English is escaping me, what is the name of that picture book? (^^) After finding our way out of the children's section, we headed to the manga section--As a foreigner, I felt obliged to venture over there haha(:
  Before we got up to pay for our books, we stumbled across a few familiar pieces of literature. Josh found Le Petit Prince in Japanese. He already owns that book in several Languages that he knows-- I think in French, English, Spanish and Italian?-- so he felt he needed to add the Japanese version to his collection. (: I thought that was really awesome~
   I came across this~ The Japanese version of Romeo and Juliet!! C: I am a good Shakespeare fan, so this was an incredible find!! It will be an interesting project to read through this and translate to an understanding that I can handle! (: When we read Romeo and Juliet in school, no one appreciated it (lol), but I really liked it; it was such a perfect tragedy I thought. I don't know if she has been reading my blog, but I really want to show this to my Lit teacher when I get home!! ((Ms. Salmon, look at what I got! haha))

Japanese version = way stellar
After the bookstore, Josh and I went to lunch, ohh my gosh I am too in love with Japanese food. . .


  ahh, sorry for such a long post about my bookstore adventure -_- I'm 16 years old, am I supposed to be this excited about a trip to the bookstore?? ((YES.))

~Jane Claire      (。・ε・。) 

3 comments:

  1. What's that yummy looking thing in the last photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's called オムライス-- pretty much rice covered in an omelet, smothered in tomato sauce and mushrooms. it's heavenly haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.オムライス--....

    ReplyDelete