Saturday, April 20, 2013

Youth for Understanding

      Hello! My name is Jane Claire. I have studied Japanese for 5 years and have been interested in studying abroad for a very long time! I really love Japanese language and culture! Last summer (2012), I discovered the program "Youth for Understanding," which is an exchange program that is connected to nearly 40 countries around the world.
      Last summer, my Japanese teacher invited me to take part in the Kizuna Project, which was a cultural junior-ambassador's exchange program to 3.11 Tsunami and Earthquake affected areas of Japan. Yes, on this trip we visited many, many devistated areas of Japan; However, the Kizuna Project also showed us how strong Japan had been after this disaster, and it also showed us first hand what an amazing country Japan is! This program was life changing for me, and really set my love for Japan into motion.
     Coming back from the Kizuna Project, and considering that I was not a high school student, I decided that it was time to apply for a summer exchange program!
    Out of all exchange programs I researched, Youth for Understanding (yfu) was the cheapest, was the longest running organization, and had the most scholarships to Japan! (: I think this is a great organization! I recommend it to anyone~ haha!
   I applied to a 2013 summer program to Japan through yfu in January 2013, and I received an acceptance letter with a T-shirt and my scholarship information on April 4th! (: I won the Japan-America Friendship Scholarship (JAFS)! I will be departing for Japan this summer on June 17th and I will be there for 6 weeks.  This program includes staying with a Japanese host-family and attending a Japanese high school!
   I intend to document my experience with this program through many blog posts and vlogs on youtube! (: please check back for updates!


じゃね!
~Jane Claire (^^)

((If you are interested in studying abroad, visit the yfu website for more information! http://yfu-usa.org/ ))

2 comments:

  1. I just realised you were in the YFU video when we arrived at Keio Plaza Hotel last summer and now you're going to Japan again through this same program

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes ma'am. o: You were also in that video. but, when that video was made, my application for this program was already open. :p

      Delete