Thursday, April 25, 2013

My Goals for YFU~

   This summer program is neither a tourist trip nor a business trip, so I've just been jotting down a few goals I have for this summer program to help me make the most of my exchange experience. They are as follows~ (^^)

  • To gain more independence~ I applied for this program all by my own desire to study abroad. People have been telling me what a scary thing it is to study abroad for six weeks, to be away from home and family/friends. I am positive I will get lonely at times, but I do not think this is at all scary. I want to show them and myself that I am mature enough to learn and grow from living internationally for six weeks! 
  • To never be silent in the presence of a stranger~ I plan to talk to as many people as I can while in Japan. I have realized you can learn a great deal in a foreign country by interacting with neighbors, shop-keepers, people at restaurants, etc. I want to improve my language ability by conversing with everyone I can! haha
  • To get past any language barriers I might come across~ I have already done a brief homestay in Japan with a Chinese girl whose family did not speak any English. I did not speak any Mandarin, but I had a stellar experience staying with Yujie and interacting with her and her family! One of the best experiences of my life! I do not believe there is a language-barrier you cannot get over, and getting over the language-barriers is always the most fun part of doing a home-stay ^^
  • To take on a new religion~ In my application, I noted that I am not affiliated with any one religion. However, I also said I am open to take part in whatever religion my host family is affiliated with! Shintoism is the native religion to Japan, and you go to a shrine to pray to the Gods. Japanese Shinto shrines are magnificently beautiful, and I hope to visit a few this summer in Japan!! 
  • To wear a Yukata at a summer festival~ This last goal is more personal...o(⌒―⌒)o  I've realized that I will be in Japan during 七夕 (star-viewing festival). This is my absolute favorite Japanese holiday! The story behind 七夕 is quite lovely, and I always celebrate it from home on July 7th, but now I will be able to celebrate it in Japan!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanabata
....Well, this is enough for tonight. To be honest, I have a very long list of goals, but it would be too much to list them all here at once~ more to be updated soon!!

    おやすみなさい!
  ~ Jane Claire (^^)

No comments:

Post a Comment